I like to set goals for myself each year. I looked back and discovered I had not posted any goals for 2011, but I’m pretty sure the only one I had was to carry and deliver a healthy baby. And yeah, by the grace of God, that was a success.
I do have some goals for 2012. In list form…
1. Get back to my pre-Finn size. I think 6 months is probably as long as I can milk the “I just had a baby” excuse. Also included in this is to drink more water, cut out soda (or at least cut way back) and stay on track with the elliptical.
2. Get rid of a lot of junk. This may sound vague, because it is, well, vague. But, I have a lot of stuff. And I need to get rid of a lot of stuff. We have lived in this house for ten years. You can accumulate a lot of stuff in ten years. Especially when you also accumulate three kids during that time. I don’t know that I will ever get to the point where I have de-cluttered all I want to. But I intend to make some serious head-way this year.
3. Take a picture a day. And, yes, I would love to print them and put them into some kind of album, but that seems like a lofty goal for me since I’ve well over a year behind on our scrapbooks. So the goal is just to take at least one picture every day.
4. Read at least 12 books. A book a month. I have a stack of books waiting to be read and an iPad full of them. I think I can surpass this, but I like to set expectations low. See #3 for further proof of this.
5. Affirm my children more. I like to think my kids know that I love them, that I’m thankful for them, that I’m proud of them. And I’m sure they do, but they need to hear it too. Often. I want Abby to know that she is a beautiful girl, inside and out, because I know at some point, some bozo is going to tell her otherwise and I don’t want her to doubt herself. I want Grayson to know that he is an awesome kid because someday some bully is going to tease him and I want him to be confident enough in himself to stand up to him. And I want sweet Finn to know that he is exactly the child God wanted him to be and be proud of it.
6. Be intentional. In everything. What I say. What I commit to. How I spend my time.
7. Get deeper in the Word. Because that’s the key to the success of #5 and #6. It’s the key to success. Period.
So there you go…my goals for 2012. I hope I can look back on this list at the beginning of 2013 and have done all seven of these things. Or at least most of them. Or at least attempted all of them. Or most of them. Low expectations…
I'm sharing my goals for the new year over at Hollywood Housewife.